Saturday, November 9, 2013

A GUARDIAN OF THE RIVER

Snake in the Roots



From a high ledge, 
I tossed a rock 
Into a lush backwash, 
The splash
Pushing striders, 
Lighter than water, 
Out of their refuge. 
After a moment, they
Reappeared, unperturbed 
By the explosion. 
The rocks bigger, my fervor
Ever greater as I kept 
Missing the mark,
The striders vanished, 
all at once, and I felt
Mean for ruining
A deep, sacred order. I 
Climbed back down 
The cliff, hoping
The striders would return. 
As I stepped out 
onto slippery stones, 
A black snake began
Slithering toward me
On top of the water, 
Its body suddenly
Whipping around rocks, 
Quick as a dipper. 
I swayed slightly,
Curious, incredulous--
And in seconds the snake
Lunged at my chest. 
As it flew toward me, 
I held up my hand, palm
Open, the front of its fangs
Hitting flat life lines; 
It tumbled back
Into the river and slid off,
Surprised that it had not 
Hooked into soft flesh--
Then between stones 
It vanished
As liquid as ripples--
And me with nothing to prove
That I had been attacked
By a guardian
Of the river....

No comments:

Post a Comment