Monday, November 11, 2013

A CHILDHOOD SECRET


Columbine By a Creek



The old woman, rolling away 
on a stretcher, clawed the air, 
leaving goo an inch deep 
in her frying pan, a sink 
and counter conquered 
by crusty dishes, countless
bottles on the windowsills,
and the odor of cat deep 
in the carpet. I had once 
stared at heart-shaped leaves 
of a coleus, timeless, 
my grandmother timeless too 
as she washed dishes in a patch 
of sunlight before my mother 
returned. The dog and turtle 
at home shared the secret 
with the toad, the swallow, 
the columbine, the tiny creek 
in the neighborhood, before 
I was called back and scolding 
broke the spell. I was afraid 
of the war like everyone, sure 
that it would drag on 
until my time came, and I forgot,
waking to the alarm clock 
so that I could see my father home 
from work before I got ready 
for school. I believed then
that we had one chance 
to forget the clock, 
that we could conquer those 
who fed us time--we could 
because we knew we were 
a family that included 
the turtle and the dog, the reed 
and the minnow, and we could see 
the secret in each other's eyes, 
gazing hard a long time 
because we had to. 








No comments:

Post a Comment